Saturday 16 November 2013

Monster stripy hunt

My phone alarm rouses me at the 3rd snooze....
It's 6-20am & I'm supposed to be picking up my best fishing pal @dangriff75 in 10mins, oh well.
Car filled with far to much gear (as is the norm with me) & flask filled with tea & I'm on my way as last.
A dirty macy dees breakfast & strong coffee were devoured en route to a Southern Stillwater & the car chat for the hour journey is filled with anticipation of everybodies favourite stripy & spiky fish.
It seems we both has similar dreams of 4lb+ perch last nite.... If only all dreams came true.
It's are first trip to this venue but it's supposed to have a large head of 2lb+ Perch, all the way up 2 just under a whopping 5lb lake pb. My appetite is fully wetted 
Full of anticipation we arrive at the lake & complete a full lap of the 2 acre pond.
I fancy a few mid way swims with lots bank side vegetation & a tree to the left, opposite the large island & we agree on a couple of adjacent spots.
While dan tackled up his 2 1.5tc sonik rods with small waggler floats, 6lb line & size 14 hook, I mixed the groundbait of sorts. 
This set up is a touch heavy for perching but with the chance of 10lb+ carp around & i think it's just foolhardy to fish lighter.

Back to the groundbait.. It consisted of white crumb (used as a carrier for) the chopped worm, red maggots & a couple liquid additives, "predator liquid" & "liquid worm" from Dynamite baits.
Both great for flavours for Perca Fluviatilis.


Prawns were also on the menu & a squirt of the predator liquid boosted the colour & flavour, hopefully the big perch thought it looked tasty anyway.


Prebaited swim while I set up & 1st cast made about 3 rod lengths out, 1 baited with lobworm, the other with the flavoured prawn.



The weather is again against us, very bright sunshine, unseasonably warm & not a cloud in the sky, not conducive for perch & we missed dawn, so dusk could b are only hope.
The first 2 hours passed without a bite for either of us, trickling in the red groundbait with chopped worm the swim slowly started to come alive.
Lots of line bites & the float bobbing about, after what seemed like an age the (worm baited) float sails away, at last...
A poor fight & just a couple of head shakes & the first fish in the net, unfortunately it's not a perch...
It's a bream... 1.5lb of shiny & slimy fish, forgot to take a pic but with the unusually   large eye, it could a Silver bream & retrospectively, most probably pb
Nice but not my chosen species...
Another worm mounted on my korum S3 hook, where r those spiny fined fish ?

The next few hours the carp moved in & we had plenty of 3 to 7lb carp, F1's to 3lb, sliver bream & a couple of beautiful goldfish


Had we fed to much ? I think not but maybe it's just to warm, by 2pm carp were up in the surface layers & I'm in a tshirt in November. Crazy


After 20 or more carp (most of them rather manky looking) & not even a tiny perch hooked.
The light faded quickly & the witching hour had arrived, that last hour of warm light before darkness descends, "come on you perch, let's be havin you"
I decided to try & escape the carp frenzy in my swim & I tucked a float fished prawn right under a bankside tree, I prebaited this swim throughout the day & now is a great time to knock a very perchy looking door


30 minutes without a bite & it's time to pack up, with most of the gear on the barrow & my float plunges deep under the darkness of the tree, could this be my chance of a monster stripy.
A ploding fight & lots of head shaking, it feels a heavy fish....
But I hopes are dashed by another f***ing carp of around 4lb.


My last chance has gone along with the sunlight.
Oh well that's fishing ;)
It's amazing that u can a have a day after a perch & not even hook a 3oz one but almost every other session you can catch  thousands of the little blighters, swallowing your hook in the process.
Still it's hard to complain when you have a constant bend in ur rod for most of the day 
No doubt we'll b back when it's very cold & the carp have switched off the feed.
There is always next time huh & that's the reason why we go fishing, you never know what's around the next fishy looking corner.

No comments:

Post a Comment