Tuesday 14 January 2014

Winter river fishing & a possible hatrick ??

As I open my eyes at 7am & look out of the window, it's the first frost in ages.
I better get my gear together & get moving, I've got fish to catch & a windscreen to scrape, the former been the main reason I need to hurry up, of course.
It's a cold morning, but I'm full of optimism that the flood waters are receding now, ie the rivers are in a fishable state.
It's just a short 10 minute drive to a little Thames tributary that was probably one of the first rivers I ever fished.
It's a tiny river that used to throw up many surprises over the years but in the last 5 I've not really fished it much as the depth as been so low & clear you can see the bottom in most of the swims.
But with this extra water & colour, I've heard some lovely bags of roach have been caught, even some very close to the magical 2lb mark.
That's music to my ears as my Roach pb is 1lb 4oz I think but that was years ago, so I couldn't wait to run a stick float through the swim with the potential of a big lumpy Roach.
As I arrive to my chosen swim, many memories come back to me, I spent so many summer holidays down here & almost every swim here holds a story for me.
I'm fishing a deep glide with an eddy on the far side, it's the deepest swim on this small river & I suspect it should hold a few fish.


    My swim for the day & the level is slowly dropping


The water level is 2ft up & the flow is not too fast at all, the coloured water also looks good as it's quite deep very close in & if I creep about I could catch only a rod length out.
Simple stick & pin tactics & fine wire hooks are my first plan of action.
As I feed the swim little & often with maggots & casters the bites begin to come.
Many very small roach, bleak & perch are swung to hand but it's a good start, the keepnet is put out so the caught fish don't spook the small swim.
A few of my freebee casters float on the top & travel down river, only to be taken off the top with gusto !
I can't resist.... i take my float off & freeline a caster just to satisfy my curiosity, shortly followed by the capure of a small bleak. Who knew that these tiny fish could make such big tail patterns on the surface.
I still fed my original swim & first run though with double red maggot produced a lovely fat roach of 10oz, great start & I'm getting a bite a cast now.



                                            A greedy but very welcome 10oz roach



The bites are now coming thick & fast but nothing really close to the 10oz-er
Then I hear in the next peg a big splash & I realize what's happening...
The bleak topping down stream have caught the attention of a pike & he's hungry by the looks of it.
Thankfully I had come prepared with a my Greys barbel rod, set up with a pike float & treble trace.
When there are plenty of roach about you know that the predators won't be far behind. 
So the bleak are getting hammered every few minutes & I'm itching to get a livebait out there before this pike is no longer hungry.
A 3oz roach is caught on a maggot & lip hooked on a sharp treble & the cast is made with a splash. 
It's been a while since I've fished for pike & my excitement builds as I see the roach pulling the float left & right but still nothing !
I put the baitrunner on & keep the rod very close to me while I carry on with the stick float. I barely make a second cast & I hear a large splash from the vicinity of my pike float, as I turn my head I catch a glimpse of a small duck scrambling away in fear, trying to get back on the bank asap, just as a large tail breaks the surface & my baitrunner spins into life.

Excuse my cheesy Americanism as I say to myself "FISH ON !!!"

I strike & set the hooks, the fish reacts with a powerful run downstream.....
"Relax Mark" I say to myself as my heart pounds away, easier said than done of course.
After I turn the beast he comes back towards me & I get the first glimpse of this fish, it's a good'un alright for such a small river.
After a couple more strong runs he's safely in the net & I sigh, now I can relax 😉
It feels a good weight as I lift him out of the water I've got the forceps at the ready but the hook has fallen out in the net, lucky me.
I unfold the net & as I look at my prize, it's a good size & as I zero the scales & slip the fish into my weigh sling, this could be a pb !
It reads 12lb 9oz & the sling is 6oz
So a 12lb 3oz it is then & I'm chuffed to bits


                                          12lb 3oz of apex predator & in lovely condition


Sadly not a pb but a great fish none the less. I try to jog my memory & I remember a Thames fish of 13lb 5oz, caught maybe 10 years ago & I'm not even sure if i have any pictures.
So i was close but no pb



  Goodbye Mr Esox Lucius, see you again in a few years



I returned the fish way downstream & got back to my roach hunt.
Again a few nice fish were caught but nothing over 8oz, I shouldn't complain really but where are the 2lbers ???
Once again my head is turned by a commotion in the middle of my swim, bleak are jumping for freedom, surely my pike didn't come up to my swim again & start to feed, did it ???
Another small roach was cast out & this time there was no hesitation & he's taken that on the drop but was it my 12lb-er again ????
This fish feels stronger & keeps deep, I would say it's bigger than the first, my mind is well & truly boggled as I struggle to tame this lovely pike.
After a frantic 2 minutes it's in the net, it's defo not the same fish, it's the bigger brother of my first but not by much. 



                            Just about a new pb at 14lb 1oz, but hey every ounce counts haha



The scales read 14lb 7oz, withdrawing the sling weight it's a a new pb of 14lb 1oz & this is turning out to be a great few hours fishing.
After accosting a lady dog walker to take a picture.....
"I'll never forget the look on her face when she saw the fish for the first time, her mouth was open & her eyes were on stalks, it got even funnier when I showed her the large mouth & razor sharp teeth she even let out a scared little squeal, so very funny"

The fish went back fine after being held in the shallows for a bit, In my now called " pike release swim" haha
Again back to the roach swim but after 30 minutes & a few more small fish, the light fading fast I decided to empty the keepnet & put another roach out while I packed up, why not when it's your lucky day & I have the possibly of a hatrick of double figure pike.

Well "Stone the Crows" after 10 minutes the float shot under again & Im battling another good sized pike, this fish is smaller than the first two & after a short fight he's mine.





It's altogether a different fish with a damaged mouth, it had been in the wars for sure but was it going to make 10lb ???
I knew it wasn't but you can understand my excitement haha


                                  A old manky warrior at 7lb

So with the release of that fish it was time to go home & till now I'm still smiling.
2014 has started well for me & fingers crossed a few more pb's will be broken in the next 12 months.

Tight lines & wet nets my fish loving friends.




No comments:

Post a Comment